Friday, October 26, 2012

Yesterday I had a doctors appointment and while I was waiting a woman around her late 30's early 40's came in for an appointment as well. While we both sat in the waiting room she was called and a woman within her early 20's came out in her scrubs and clipboard. The patient hesitantly stood up and went to the office window. As the nurse stood there I heard the woman ask for another nurse because being that she is not a child she would like a more upper level nurse assisting her. Annoyed the secretary couldn't do much but just shake her head and asked her to wait. Whispering under her breath the secretary told the nurse to take me. As she called my name I could here her voice shaking and quiet. I stood up, and as I passed the woman I of course gave her one of the "looks" that women across the globe have excelled in accomplishing. Once I got into the room I couldn't help but address the situation. She began telling me that this was her first job but not her first insult, she never thought people would be so picky when it came to age in a health office. She continued talking about how her college professor warned them in a joking matter about this but I just stood there in disbelief. How can people be so rude to do something like this especially to someone that holds the future? Once she finished with her tests she walked out and thanked me for my understanding and hoped that she performed her tasks as i had hoped. Once she walked out I staid baffled at the fact that this young woman, who performed like any other nurse I have ever had, had just been belittled of her abilities. If only the woman in the waiting room did not read a book by its cover she would have had the opportunity to meet such a skilled professional. 

No comments:

Post a Comment